Friday, March 27, 2015

Women Superheroes

"The women whom I love and admire for their strength and grace did not get that way because shit worked out. They got that way because shit went wrong, and they handled it. They handled it in a thousand different ways on a thousand different days, but they handled it. Those women are my superheroes."
- Elizabeth Gilbert

Elizabeth Gilbert is one of the women I saw speak at the Oprah weekend. Since then I have followed her on Facebook and I find her wise and strong and empowering. I read her posts every day and feel inspired in some way, but this one really struck me.

I have extraordinary women in my life. I don't know how I have landed such a collection, but I have.I think of the quote above and it speaks such truth. I have seen almost every single woman I admire go through some difficult or tragic aspect of life. They have all amazed me. Perhaps this is why I admire them? There is nothing on earth that compares to a strong woman. They epitomize everything I want for myself and my daughter. I think of my mom, my friends, my family. Everywhere I look I have women that I am in awe of. They go through real things. They are true to themselves. They maintain their value system. They have integrity. They have perseverance. They are strong.

Elizabeth knows what she's talking about. These women are my superheroes too. I need to do a better job of letting them know.

No comments: