Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Letter to My Family 2014

At the end of last year I wrote a letter to my family. You can read it here. I intend to write a letter at the end of each year.


From youngest to oldest...

Dear Buddy,
Welcome to our family! You've now been with us for almost 9 months and I must say it has been quite an adjustment. When you first came I was sure we made a mistake. Now, you have changed so much, we have adjusted and you are part of our family. We are all trying to make you feel more comfortable and not so scared of everything and you have come so far!. We often wonder what happened to you in the past and are so glad you are with us- a loving family. You have even turned the Russell men into dog people. Who knew it was possible? We love having you in our family.


Dear Ryan,
Like every year of your life, this has been a year of growth. You have become a reader and writer and continue to get better at both.I enjoy listening to you read and watching you get your thoughts down in writing. You have a passion for writing and creating books. Remember your New Years Eve activity that you put in a balloon?- "write your own book".  You are a fun and playful soul. You bring laughter and fun into any play time with friends, all family events, and especially our home. I appreciate that you try new things. I was impressed with your work in soccer, t ball and now basketball. I know you have learned some life lessons in the last year about being a good listener, following the rules and expectations at school, telling the truth, and being a good friend. I am proud that you internalize the lessons being taught and apply them to life. You have incredible manners and always have. Your sense of humor is unparalleled. Your enthusiasm for what you love (Buddy, wrestling, writing books) is admirable. I know how frustrated you get when we don't understand what you're trying to express. I want to make that better for you.You bring me such joy. I hope I am being the mom you need me to be. I wouldn't change anything about you. I see you. I hear you. I appreciate you and all you add to our family. I love you.



Dear Haley,
You have grown so much this year. Not only are you taller (just inches below me!) you are learning those skills and lessons of an early adolescent. I love that you ask me questions about friendships and words or terms you don't know. I hope you are taking subconscious notice that everytime you say, "Mom, can I ask you a question?" I respond with, "You can ask me anything." because you can- always.  I CANNOT believe you have been on this earth for 10 years next month. I am so proud that you continue to be a diligent student. I still admire your artistic abilities. I like that you find something to be interested in and go deep into it. I trust your judgment in people and know that you are learning what a true friend is at this age. You are always ready to party and stay up and sleep in. One of my favorite moments with you this year (there were so many) was staying up on New Years Eve and watching the special on TV. You were so excited about the performances. It was a moment that reminded me of how you are growing up all the time. I love that your mind is innocent and that your physical self is moving along much faster than your social/playful self (in the best way). I soak in how much you and Ryan play and laugh.You teach me so much about being a mom. You bring me such joy. I hope I am being the mom you need me to be. I wouldn't change anything about you. I see you. I hear you. I appreciate you and all you add to our family. I love you.





Dear Me,
I have had a very good year. I feel happy and in a very good place. The hard work and my focus of "letting things go I have no control over" are paying off. I felt far less stress and frustration and disappointment this year. I know that I am closer to my best self and am moving in the right direction. I promised to work on flexibility and core strength and meditation as I know the combination is the right one for my well being. That is still my goal since I didn't improve much in that area. The Oprah event was life changing and everything seems extra sweet since then. I live a grateful life and I feel more grateful, more gracious, more loving, more empathetic, more accepting, more in love than I ever have. I have found a new level of patience and calm in my home and work life. I have received more clarity on my spiritual path. I have been revived in my work with some changes this year. I am being good to myself and others. I am proud of my fiscal responsibility and know that it leads to fun adventures for my family. I am proud of the behavior I model for my kids in regard to human kindness. I have seen, more than any other year, the power of desiring from your true self and having the energy in the universe respond. I have enjoyed my time off with my kids more than I ever have. Our summer was epic. I am happy with who I am and continuously work on being better. I wouldn't change that about myself.



Dear Josh,
In the words of my mom, "there is nothing you can't do." I thought last year you hit the jackpot- little did I know! Simply put- you amaze me. I am in awe of you as a person. You are an incredible model of what it means to decide to do something and DO IT. I love our marriage, our partnership, our life.You have kept me laughing for 17 and 1/2 years. What a gift. You are an incredible father. I never tire of the kids waiting for you to get home and the energy you have when they greet you with such enthusiasm!  I have never been more in love with you. You are kind and thoughtful. You are fun and funny. You are hard working. You do work for good and what you are doing is impacting the world positively. You own everything you do and every action you take, never making excuses. You are an admirable and inspiring soul. You get better looking with age. You bring me such joy. I hope I am being the wife you need me to be. I wouldn't change anything about you. I see you. I hear you. I appreciate you and all you add to our family. I love you.

Cheers to 2014. Bring on 2015!


No comments: