Yesterday Jason came home. I have not seen him for more than 5 years. To say I was anxious for his arrival is an understatement. I have written about Jason before in this previous post. I cannot tell you how joyful his homecoming felt. The kids were all over him- he had not met any of his nieces or nephew, except for Haley. The last time he saw her she was almost 2. I am so hopeful for him and so glad that the message was sent loud and clear that we are all glad he is home and we want him back in our lives.
From here he deals with life after prison- parole, program, a sober living environment. We are glad he was able to figure out a way to do this all close to home. We feel great that he is here.
Yesterday was filled with laughing, real conversation and good food (he requested burgers, garlic bread and Mom's German chocolate cake). I really took notice when it was time for dinner and, without saying anything, we all sat in our old spots at the table. All of the family filled in around the spots that were originally the 5 we sat at growing up.
It hit me that we had NEVER all been together like this before. The five of us, with our spouses and kids- EVERYONE there. My heart was filled and I soaked in the moment.
I look forward to having Jason back. As kids, most of my time with him was spent laughing. We haven't really known each other as adults.
I cherish the idea that we have a new start.
What a perfect end to the Thanksgiving holiday.
No comments:
Post a Comment