In the last week I have really been thinking about going back to work. It's that time of the year when my brain switches from the free and blessed time I get in the summer back to starting the school year. I am starting my 13th year and I still lose sleep and get anxious every year! Last night I got 4 hours of sleep as my mind was buzzing with all I wanted and had to get done before the students show up.
I think it's funny, and not coincidental, that all summer I haven't heard many stories about teachers or teaching. In the last 2 weeks my friend told me how she went to Palm Springs and the man at the registration desk at the resort learned she was a teacher, grabbed her hands and said, "thank you" before upgrading her room to a huge suite. Then I had dinner with my good friend who has been my teaching partner the last 3 years and is moving on. She sent me an email after our dinner that brought me to tears letting me know that she is my biggest cheerleader and supporter. Then the Matt Damon video defending teachers (if you haven't seen it, Google it). Last, and with most impact, was a surprise little note from an old student that gave me just the nugget I needed to get started this year.
These have all acted as signs to me that it's time. Time to get back into the grind. Time to meet my next group. Time to rock and roll!
1 comment:
Go do what you do girlfriend!!!! There are some kids out there just waiting to have their life changed by you!!!!
Post a Comment