Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day Be Gone!

This is the first day all summer that I wanted to scream. It was a tough mom day and my patience was gone completely.
We all woke up on the right side of the bed. Josh left. I made breakfast and we played a bit downstairs. We got dressed and headed out the door late morning to shop for Josh's birthday gift. Now this is a tough thing to do for a couple of reasons. One, I need to look at things and make a decision while trying to keep everyone close and not breaking anything. Two, it's hard to shop with the kids and not have them ruin the surprise of the gift. For Father's Day Josh got a card with a picture inside of what he was getting versus the gift itself and the chance the surprise would be ruined.
The whining began the minute we made our first stop. "Are we going to see any toys? Can I get toys for my birthday?" I told Ryan that we weren't shopping for toys and that he could get something new on his birthday (next June 11th). TEARS. I had him hold something to "help" me and that stopped him at the moment.
The whining ensued again at the 2nd and final stop. "I want to go home! I don't want to go to swim class. I want Daddy!"
We got home and had lunch. Ryan has been potty trained for almost 2 weeks now. He has been doing an awesome job since the start and a few days ago started having one poop accident a day. NOT FUN. Without going into too many details, today he had 2 accidents of each kind for a total of 4 accidents! I cleaned him up both times only to find out that both of our upstairs toilets are clogged. I considered the fact that they didn't overflow a blessing since I was dealing with getting poop off of everything. Plumber should be here any minute.

Swim class= fine.

Rest time. The kids have it every day. The rules are that they stay in their rooms, or each others for 1 hour, and can read, play, lay down, whatever, but it has to be without involving me. Today 2 of the accidents happened during rest time. I think I heard "Maaaawwwwwwmmmmm?" 117 times during rest time today. They fought and cried and complained and needed help and on and on and on. I stood my ground about not going up there (except for the 2 accidents) but it was no fun and my one hour of peace slipped away.

Afternoon. We had a snack and cleaned up another accident (what the beep is going on?) and I tried to work on a few things for Josh's bday. The minute I'd start anything I was needed. "mom?" "mama?' "mommy?"At one point I went into the bathroom just to escape for a minute and the kids were at the door needing something.

This is the first day all summer that I have felt like this. I was counting down the minutes for Josh to come home. This is motherhood. Most of the times it's pure joy. Other times it's just plain hard and tiring and wearing.
Tonight I definitely need to run or swim or meditate...or drink.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude..... I so feel this post!!!! I completely understand and have had this day many, many times.... As those days are unfolding before me I keep saying to myself "this too shall pass" and "the days are long and the years are short". Sometimes I feel like shouting "Is it to much to ask for just a few minutes or hours to myself?" and "Am I only on this earth to serve you and only you???" because I feel like ALL that I do is service my children's needs... What about my needs?????? My vote is for you to drink!!!! Liquor is what gets us through motherhood...

Amy said...

This was my Tues and Wed! Isaac is going through a tough phase right now and by the end of Wed night I was in tears. It is so hard when you take your role of motherhood so seriously..you want your kids to be happy and succeed in what they do. And then you have days like this. I feel for you. This is why God created new mornings. As for the rest time, we do the same thing with Isaac and hope to do it with Elyse too (still a napper) stick to it Mom! Praying these days are few and far between1

Brig said...

Jen,
I'm so sorry sugar! I want to hug you and drink with you. It's hardly mommy hood but just to make you laugh a little...Harley's dog walker is gone and he's had 12 "accident's" in 4 days, we have not slept in a week due to fireworks that go off in Chinatown until the drunks go home around 4am... NO BUENO! Let's escape. I'm here for you. XOXO