Friday, September 4, 2015

Better

I was flattened, numb, crushed. I am better by baby steps.

One way that I am better is in my classroom. The last 3 months of the school year last year were a fog. I was a zombie going through the motions. My students didn't deserve that and I hate that it happened for them. I know they didn't notice, but I sure did. I have always prided myself in my work in education.

Because of all of this I am a better teacher. Last night was Back to School Night. A mom came up to me after all others were gone to tell me that she and her husband separated this summer and that she is concerned for her child. 6th grade is a big transition and so much was changing for her son. He was having a hard time with the split.

This story has been told to me for many many years by parents. I have always been appreciative of them filling me in and have always kept the information in my mind while holding compassion for the situation.

This time was different. My heart fell for her and her son. I FELT her pain and worry and concern. I looked her square in the eyes and told her,
" I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through. My heart aches for every single one of you. I will do anything for you and your son to make this transition a safe and smooth one. I promise to tell you anything I see that I'd want to know as a parent. Your son is safe here and I am so glad he is in my class this year. My door is always open for you and him for anything you need."

Her eyes filled with tears and she gave me a huge hug. I hugged her back and let her be the one to decide when to let go.

I will be a better teacher from this point on.

And better is better.

No comments: