Over my spring break I decided to conquer a fear I have had since the 1989 earthquake- bridges. Every time I drive over a bridge I have to remember to breathe and my palms sweat the whole time. I dropped the kids off at school and drove, by myself, straight to SF with the plan to run over the Golden Gate Bridge and back. As you can see in the photos, it was a perfect day, sponsored by my angels.
here I am, taking my first steps out. Once I started, I was on my way. I pumped music into my ears and took deep breaths. I did not feel afraid. As I took each stride I felt the strength and sturdiness of the bridge under my feet. It was not shaky. It would not falter. I did not have to fear it falling out from under me.
I stopped many times along the way. I looked over the side. I looked up at the grandness of the structure. I appreciated its design and that I was standing on a bridge people travel to see from far and wide.
I felt fearless. I felt strong. It was an incredible gift I gave myself. I talked about it with my kids and explained that we all have fears. I shared what went through my thoughts and how I became stronger with every single stride. I showed them the pictures.
It was a day for the books.





No comments:
Post a Comment