The best advice I ever received about parenting was from a woman I have never even met. A friend shared the wise words from a woman in her book group. The advice was this- only volunteer for things that give you more time with your children, not take you away from them.
As a working mom, I have really taken this advice to heart. Originally I thought I would be actively involved in their school PTA or other committees. That is how I pictured myself as a mom.But this advice has stuck with me and has helped make certain decision very easy. Going to PTA meetings takes me away from my kids. Coaching soccer gives me more time with them. Pretty simple formula and it has really worked for me.
With that said, I am fairly passionate about my job and education in general. When I see injustice (in any aspect of life really) I want to act.There are things happening that make me want to take major action. I don't really like hearing "about" things. I would rather hear them myself. I like to ask questions and get things clarified. Our current board has caused much controversy in the district. I am not clear about what is accurate and what is fabricated. I do know that the more I hear, the more I want to get involved. My soul always lets me know when it is time to act. Right now I am still able to do my job the way I want to. There are definitely more hoops to jump through because of certain processes put into place, but I can still do it.
I have never believed that change is impossible. I am a firm believer that when you don't like something the way it is, you have power to advocate for change. I also know that my first priority is my family and I am not willing to change that. Maybe I would feel more urgency if I saw that my students were being affected. It's hard. I remember this feeling when I moved schools. My old school knew my work ethic and understood when I stepped down from committees and such because I had a new baby. When I moved to the middle school no one knew me or my "team player" attitude. It was so hard for me to sit in meetings and not volunteer for things when I was new to the staff. But, with a 2 and 1/2 year old and another baby on the way, I simply wasn't willing.
So, thank you Random Woman with the Fabulous Advice. When I have tough decisions to make, your words make my choice for me. And every single time I have heeded your wisdom, I have not regretted it.
2 comments:
What you didn't mention is that so many of the things you do with/for your family also benefit other children and other families. Coaching soccer is a great example. You spent more time with Ryan while also giving the other kids the benefit of your knowledge and enthusiasm. That can only be a good thing.
So true! I heard this advice as well and am so thankful I got it. It really helps simplify those "should I" questions we ask ourselves as parents everyday!
Post a Comment