For the past 3 days I have been on my own during the day. My last day of school was Friday, Ryan's last day was today, and Haley's is on Friday. It has been heavenly to drive them in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. I love being on campus at drop off and pick up and seeing them off each morning. I have had about 5 hours to myself each of these days.
Day 1- got carpets cleaned, scheduled a delivery that has been hard to schedule since it needed a signature (wine), cleaned out kitchen cabinets and pantry.
Day 2- hair cut and pedicure, lunch, and browsing at Santana Row.
Day 3- Get some breakfast with Josh before taking him to the airport for San Antonio for the next few days, take my car in for some maintenance which included walking after dropping it off and walking to pick it up- all at a leisurely pace, and lunch with work friends in Los Gatos.
It has been awesome. I keep asking myself, "do people really live like this?" I know stay at home moms don't when their kids are at home. That job is non stop and leaves no time to oneself. But people not in that situation? Do they get so much done? Do they have a perfect mixture of leisure and task mastering?
The first time this ever crossed my mind was when I was on maternity leave with Haley. I remember thinking, "everyone is at work, so this is a perfect time to go to the mall." Then I was shocked to not find a parking spot and find the mall buzzing with people! What?! People run errands during the day? They meet up with others and have long lunches? I have only know the school schedule my whole life, first as a student and then as a teacher. I have never worked a job where you go somewhere for lunch or go in late so I always assumed everyone was at work when I was.
I love my job and the time it gives to my family. Being in my 3 day fantasy world, where the day was mine for the taking, was pretty darn fabulous.
And now we venture on with our summer time together. I am giddy with excitement. More to come...

No comments:
Post a Comment