Friday, May 25, 2012

Author's Night- Another Eye Opener

Look at our published author! Haley had been so excited for her Author's night at school (and so were we). I expected to go and be proud and relish in her joy of it all. The night became much more for me. It reminded me of a few important aspects of my life...

1. I am grateful for my healthy family. As different as my children are, they are both healthy. I try not to take this for granted. They both love to learn and I am thankful they have well functioning brains that allow them to be curious and soak things in.

2. I am grateful for a husband that shares my set of values. He had a work event last night that he arrived to late (and got someone to cover his part of the presentation) so that he would not miss the event. When he was there, he was present and not preoccupied with where he needed to be next.
3.. I am grateful to have our family here. We are so lucky to live in the same area as our families. It is a blessed thing to be raising a family with the support of grandparents, aunties, uncles and cousins.
4. I am grateful that my children are choosing friends that I would choose for them. Haley is at the age where she is making friends completely on her own and not through my mommy connections. She is choosing boys and girls who are kind, respectful to adults, playful and inclusive of others.
4. I am grateful that I am a mom. This may be obvious by the other reasons of gratitude, but it is something I am thankful for every day. I have felt everything from overjoyed to overwhelmed as a mother. The job is awesome in the true sense of the word. I am thrilled to be given this role in my life.

5. I am grateful that we live in the community we do. We love our neighborhood, our schools, and the people we are meeting through our children. I am excited that my kids will grow up surrounded by a variety of cultures
6. I am grateful for her teachers. She has had OUTSTANDING teachers that have helped her grow tremendously each year.

I am a PROUD mom.Last night I expected to feel proud. I didn't expect the flood of emotions I felt. Who knew that a first grade event could mean so much? It did to Haley too. As I tucked her in last night she said, "I wish Author's Night was every night."
I'd be just fine with that.

This post is linked up with Learn With Jenny. See what others are grateful for.

4 comments:

StakiMama said...

It's lovely to get an eye-opening somewhere you don't expect it.
Last week I went to a concert at my daughter's school, I got to see both girls singing & I realised what a fantastic oppertunity we had given them by changing schools, how much they had both blossomed, how full, really really full of love & pride I felt. I wouldn't have had a chance to feel all this if the light had been right & I could have been taking pictures. I was grateful for that sun behind me, blocking the shot so I could just enjoy the concert.

Unknown said...

Super Cute! Loved reading this. -Bunk

Jenny Meyerson said...

I loved this Jen. In that first picture, Haley could not be more of a perfect mix of you and Josh. Holy cow! And I loved seeing the picture of all the grandparents and the picture of Haley and her friend. What a confident, spirited young lady.
Job well done Jen. I love Rebecca's friends and am really working on cultivating those same relationships with the younger 3 right now.
Thanks for linking up today - it was such a nice surprise!

The Book Sage said...

As your father-in-law, I can reiterate much of what you said. The authors' night was amazing, for sure. And you're right about the family and blessings that you have. The part you left out is that you are a wonderful mother, wife, daughter, sister, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, and friend. Most importantly, you're a wonderful human being. I am proud to know you.