Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Validation

As human beings we all need validation. Validation can come through words, actions and other signs.

When we were younger we got feedback all of the time. I knew when I made my parents proud (reward/celebration/conversation). I also knew when I disappointed them (grounded/silence/conversation).

As a student I got validation through 21 years of schooling through grades and reactions of teachers, through coaches and winning/losing games, through performing and competing.

It seems like now, when I have the most important roles I have ever had, the validation is a bit void. I had not been thinking about this until yesterday, when I got validated in 3 areas of my life. I wasn't looking for it. I wasn't particularly needing it. It just happened.

A complete stranger stopped what he was doing and commented on the way I was interacting with my children. That was nice.

A friend made a commment on Facebook that something I did a year earlier had a positive impact. That was nice.

A new teacher I have worked with for the last 2 years expressed how she felt working together.

In one day I got positive feedback about being a mom, a friend, and a professional. It felt good. It will stay with me. It was unexpected yet VERY welcomed.

I was telling Josh about this while eating dinner and he replied, "Yes. And you are an amazing wife! See? Validation for that too." Hmmm...not so natural, but I'll take it. :)

I won't go into the fact that this morning, when we woke up, Ryan showed us that he colored all over his wall last night...no, I want to hold onto my little gems.

No comments: