Friday, January 20, 2012

Still a Mystery

In the past I have written how I find it so interesting the praise a father gets when he takes his child/ren out and about. Josh has gotten several comments while at the park, grocery shopping, wherever about how wonderful it is that he is doing those things with his children. I have known these comments to happen to many dads. Not so much for the moms. I have wondered why this is and find it all quite interesting.

Yesterday the mystery continued. We had a music class with the kids and my brother in law and my niece also joined the class. It was the first session so the teacher gave some hand outs. When she gave the materials to Nate she said, "These are really important. Make sure to give them to your wife."
Ok...
1. Why wouldn't a dad be able to handle important documents?
2. What if he didn't have a wife? What if he was single or gay or a widower?

These types of interactions are perplexing. Is is that uncommon that dads are out with their children alone that it warrants a comment? Is it that uncommon that a dad would be bringing his child to a class and that he will be handling all documents and other things?
Perhaps I am naive since my dad totally interacted with us and Josh is a complete hands on parent and so are most of my friends, both women and men?
I know in older generations these things may have been rare. It's 2012. If we see any parent interacting with their children, let's for sure let them know we admire what they're doing. Moms or dads or any care takers. Goodness knows we all need a little pat on the back sometimes. Moms and dads both work hard. Bottom line.

1 comment:

Brig said...

Don't even get me started on this Jen, I will look forward to having this conversation with you soon. TOTALLY agree with you and see it here at the hospital allll of the time, HATE IT!!!
Love you!