Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Mom

Ok. I know every parent has stories like this. Although this is not an outrageous story, it happens enough for me to write about.

Haley started a dance class at the community center a few weeks ago. Most of the moms/siblings wait in the little room off to the side while they dance away for 50 minutes. I am usually busy with Ryan but have found a few moments here and there to chat with some of the moms. Just like in any situation, there are people you click with and people you don't. And then there are the ones that annoy the crap out of you...

There is a woman who has bugged me from day one. She has opinions about everything, most unsolicited. She states everything as if it is fact. "____is the best school in the valley." "That grocery store is ____." "I would never allow my child to _____." I have simply avoided interaction with her as well as eye contact with anyone else.

There is a little boy around Ryan's age. He belongs to a different mom who is always chatting with the other said mom that she rarely pays attention to her son. He's fine and plays with the toys in the room. The other day he decided to start knocking down the towers that Ryan was building. I reminded Ryan to tell the boy that he didn't like that (the usual way i respond when a parent isn't stepping in). The boy stopped. Then it was the end of the class and time to clean up the blocks. Ryan started cleaning up the blocks he was playing with. The other little boy took the blocks out of the bin that Ryan had just put them in. Totally fine. I just wanted Ry to clean up his mess. The mom- the one who had NO CHILD INVOLVED IN THIS EXCHANGE- says to me, " you know. He is still playing with the blocks. Please do not clean them up." I responded calmly, "I am having my son clean up what he played with."

I was bothered. First of all, I really don't do well with people butting in when it comes to my kids unless there is something I am not seeing. I have realized this fact over the last 6 years of being a mom. I don't want people interjecting what i should be doing or what my children should be doing. Now, if my kids are doing something that I am not seeing (an exchange or hurting someones feelings, etc.) that is completely fine. But when I am right there, seeing it all, involved in what is happening...no thanks.  Add the fact that I find the woman completely obnoxious. Not a good mix. Your daughter is in dance class! You are not involved!

So, I have a few more months with this woman. I will make an effort to smile if we make eye contact, but really, I just want to scream, "PLEASE SHUT IT! No one is asking you about your opinions on mothering or schools or groceries. There are grey areas in life. You are not right about everything. Loosen up! Listen to other views. Why don't you actually watch your daughter dance a bit instead of spewing the whole time? How about you be concerned with your own self and your own child?"

Do you think she'd be enlightened?

4 comments:

Brig said...

OMG - I love you! I'm going to be the worst mom, I would totally tell her to loosen up and chill out... Can I go with you to dance class? Please Please. :) You are truly toooooo good Jen, bless your heart! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Love it..... I completely concur.... In a perfect world she would be enlightened but people like that are never enlightened... I also wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying your posts about teaching and our school system. With Briar being in Kindergarten this is my first exposure to school and its process. My eyes have been opened tremendously. Please keep teaching me about teaching!!!! I want to know what needs to change and what works so that I can work on making that change here in AZ. I can already see how it is all about assessments and teaching to the standardized tests. Briar has an incredible teacher but she is always having to worry about assessing the children and did they hit this milestone or that one that is standardized. I want my kid to learn to learn, not to pass a standardized test. I feel like I am a product of teaching to pass tests and I feel like I only know certain things instead of a broad range of subjects.... So tell me more!!! I love it!!!!

Angela said...

There is a mom like that at Mt School who NEVER sees what her kid is doing, always has the facts and the rest of us are in the dark, and she just rubs me the wrong way. I avoid, avoid, avoid. We never speak. Sometimes that's for the best.

Amy said...

I so feel for you Jen! What is it with some people? Insecurities? Seeking approval from other people? Way to stay calm & be a good example for your kids!