Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Far More Good

I was with the kids and we had some things to get at Target. As we approached the entrance there was a man who was disheveled going through the garbage can. He started walking away from the store when I heard a woman from across the parking lot yell, "sir? sir?" She came over to him and asked if she could take him inside and buy him something to eat from the Target snack bar area. As she walked him in she asked how he was doing and chatted about the day. I pointed them out to the kids and talked about what she was doing. They have given people money before or donated in a box outside a store, but this was different. This man was talked to and asked how he was doing and treated like any other human being.

My theory proves right over and over again. No matter what we see in the media, FAR more good is happening in small, sincere moments all of the time. People are good. I loved that my kids got to see that.

No comments: