Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dinner Time

Dinner last night...
We got home and played a bit and then I started dinner. Ryan was doing puzzles and Haley was coloring. I decided to try a new pizza. Rolled out the dough, put on the goods, and went to slide it onto the new pizza stone. It wouldn't slide off the wood onto the stone. Many toppings slid right off into the stove. Ryan needed help with his puzzle. I left the sad pizza to help him. He then bumped into Haley and she spilled her cup of milk all over herself. Cleaned up. Josh got home and was able to help reconstruct the pizza and help with the kids. Dinner was served 20 minutes later. Haley helped serve each plate while Ryan stood in the corner with his cup saying that he didn't want to sit in his chair. The food was served and Josh finally just plopped Ryan in his chair. I was about to sit down when Haley asked for more milk. I got up to get it. All 4 of us had been sitting for 27 seconds and had just started talking about our day when Haley got up and announced she had to go to the bathroom. Josh and I started talking when Haley yelled from the bathroom, "I am going poop!" At that moment Ryan pushed his chair back from the table and said, "all done." Haley then walked into the kitchen and asked, "Mommy, do you like my undies?" Yes, her pants were down. She went back to wash her hands and eventually joined the table again. We each went around and shared about our day and listed something we were good at (per the prior post). Josh was mid sentence when Haley commented about the food. I told her she had interupted her dad. She said, "oh sorry, Daddy. Finish your story." Ryan pushed his chair back again and said, "all done." Haley said, "Hey guys! Look at my plate!" she had finished almost everything. We excused both kids from the table after about 8 minutes total.

I shared this because this dinner was not unlike all dinners in our house. Last night I just soaked in how most moments are just organized chaos. Dinner was just a snapshot of how life works in our household. Gotta love it.

No comments: