Friday, April 10, 2009

Very Interesting...

Since I have become a mom a whole new world opened up. I see things in a new way. I am far less judgmental than I used to be. I look at parents and children very differently than I used to. There has been one thing that has been very interesting to me and it has happened so many times that I must share.

There are several times when Josh has both the kids without me or vice versa. Or I have one kid and Josh has one. In our 4 years of parenthood Josh has been stopped at least a half dozen times in public and his parenting was complimented. "How wonderful to see you with your kids. " "What a great daddy you have!" "I think that it is very special that you are out with your children."

Josh should be complimented. He is truly an amazing father. I cannot imagine going on this adventure of raising our children with anyone else. He has far exceeded any idea of what kind of parent I thought he would be. And I had HIGH expectations. It is so attractive to see this side of your spouse and you can never really see it until the moment you become parents. I knew Josh was good with kids because I had seen him around kids, but this is far different. He is incredible.

I have witnessed fathers being approached in public, but NEVER mothers. Never! Why is this? I have made it a point to comment to moms when they are out with their kids. Not always a direct compliment, but something letting them know that what they are doing is no small feat.

Interesting...very interesting...

4 comments:

courtney said...

Well said girlfriend! Well said!

Lindsey said...

...And how sad it is that we see daddies being good daddies is such an anomaly.

I think we should just expect everyone to be awesome parents and go back to old-fashioned judgementalness. Complimenting just takes too much effort. Ha ha.... this coming from the non-mom... well, this week anyway. :)

Josh is a lucky man to have a wonderful woman like you, and you him... and Haley and Ryan both of you!

Jen said...

Yes, Lindsey, it is crazy that people are so impressed with a good dad and expect it from mothers. This is obviously not everyone. I know I expect everyone to be good parents and you will see ,very shortly, becoming a mom yourself that it looks so different for everyone.

Amy said...

isn't it amazing how much our perspectives change when we become parents?