To My Two Loves- I adore the relationship the two of you have. I love being your mom. I always pray that I am and have been who you've needed me to be. I've never been more intentional about anything in my life as I have been with being your mom. You're the frigging greatest.
Dear Ryan,
I am not kidding I started laughing when thinking about what to write. Why? Because just like always, you make me laugh. You make everyone laugh and you always have. You are literally 19 weeks away from graduating high school. I know I always say, "just get us to graduation on June 4th." This is not because I want anyting to be rushed. It is not because I just want it over with. It's because I see your strong sense of confidence and self worth and I don't want any of your feelings about school or from school to diminish them. We're so close to accomplishing that. June 4th also means a new chapter of parenting where I don't have to "mom" so hard and I look forward to that for both of us. Thank you for being the young man you are and continue to grow into. You are smart as hell. You get people. You get situations.You get how the world works. You are thoughtful and funny and kind. You are respectful and even when you push the boundaries that teenagers do, you never do it by disrespecting me. I know you are so excited to move out and onto your new path. Of course, I'll be doing a crash course like I did with Haley on all the little things I maybe have missed along the way (do you know to squeeze out the sponge when you're done in the kitchen?) I support you all the damn way. I love you. You make me extremely proud. Keep being you and I'll keep being right behind you.
Dear Haley,
The one who made me a mom! The one who now lives in Boise fulltime and doesn't come home to stay the summer. The one who becomes more in your skin each passing day. The one who is 21 next month! The one who made a dis track this year:) You're killing it at school (hello Dean's list!). You have established your home away from home. I know this year has presented new life challenges, including roommate drama. Your living space should be the most comforting, warm place and I am sorry that it can be stressful. I am very happy that you have established such strong frienships and a village that takes care of each other. The struggles you're having with roommates now are temporary, even though it feels like it'll be this way forever. I admire your work ethic. I laugh at our TikTok exchanges. I enjoy your dry sense of humor. I love when I see your name pop up on my phone, usually saying out loud, "it's Haley!". You are so level headed and provide such sound advice to those who seek it from you. I always countdown to the next time I get to see you. You continue to soar in your growing independence. I love you. You make me extremely proud. Keep being you and I'll keep being right behind you.
It was a fine 2025. Sure, my house got ripped apart not once, but twice from water damage. Sure, I have felt sickened by some displays of humanity (or lack thereof). Sure, I feel scared by the way things are going in our country. While all of those things are true, so are these things:
I had another fulfilling year as a mom, watching my kids continue to grow and feeling my role in their lives morph into more of a supportive guide/ listener than anything else. What a weird and beautiful phase of parenthood to be in.
My friendships are strong and powerful. Every phase of womanhood is really different and my friends are my lifeline. I have never taken my friends for granted and I never will. What a sad sack I would be without them.They are my soulmates.
I feared I was burning out in education. I am not. It was just an especially hard year last year. It would be dumb of me to retire from anywhere else, so thank goodness this year turned around from the trajectory I thought I was on with how I felt about my work!
Still living a really good life with this guy. We continue to grow, even while living 45 minutes apart and raising our kids. We continue to laugh and have fun. We continue to prioritize each other even when other priorities replace together time. It's been an incredible 4 years with Dave. I feel very proud and blessed to have him as my person.
Life is a wild ride! Who knows what lies ahead?
Cheers to 2025.
1 comment:
What a wonderful expression of your world. Happy to see you are feeling better about work. You are amazing at what you do!
Post a Comment