The other day I had a great day. Let me preface by saying that my days are not usually bad. In fact, most days are good days. This day was a bit different. On this day, nothing in particular happened, but I felt pride and gratitude in my heart for things all around me.
On this day I had a keen sense of all that I have. I don't know why my awareness was heightened but it was.
It was career day at my school and I saw the 8th graders walking around the gym, going to the different booths, and asking in depth questions about the jobs and the people doing them. I felt pride in students.
I looked across the way and saw Josh, who had volunteered to be at our career day. He has been thoughtful about what he had out for the kids and what he said to them. I felt complete love for him.
I saw the staff working hard, helping students, laughing, collaborating, doing things above and beyond the contract and salary. I saw teachers teaching and caring for our kids. I felt proud to be a teacher.
I surprised the kids with slurpees after school since the weather was 100 degrees. Both were so delighted and appreciative.
"Thank you mom!"
"This is the best surprise!"
They came home and did their homework. We played outside, with the dog running around us. We had meaningful and playful dinner conversation. We did our chores. This whole time I took in every detail, every smile, every word. As we were outside I looked at our house and just felt blessed.
This day was not out of the ordinary. In fact, it was quite ordinary.
My attitude and awareness about the day made it extraordinary.
No comments:
Post a Comment