There is something very satisfying about the element of surprise. I have written before, about different little acts of kindness and acts of karma. Our family loves to surprise people. The best part of the whole experience is always watching the recipients react to the act. My favorite part is that the kids see the pleasure in doing nice things for people for no particular reason.
Last week we brought flowers to our neighbor. When she answered the door she asked, "what are these for?" The kids replied, "for being a great neighbor!" Her reaction of gratitude was priceless.
This past weekend I flew to Spokane to visit my friend, Amy. I had a layover in Phoenix and surprisingly (haha), found a little bar right by my gate. The bar was set up just like a normal bar. There was not a single file line, but a row of people behind those sitting on stools at the bar. I stood and ordered my drink and the bartender asked for the drink order of the woman next to me. She placed her order and the bartender asked, "together?"and the woman replied, "no, separate."
When it was time to pay I paid for the woman behind me. The bartender asked, "Do you know her?" When I replied that I didn't, she genuinely looked surprised, smiled and said, "Jennifer, you can hang out with me any day!"
I then handed the woman her drink (who couldn't hear what was going on when I paid). She tried to hand me cash and I told her it was paid for. Again, her face lit up with surprise and delight.She then replied, "It's my anniversary and I am meeting my husband in Las Vegas. You are a sign of pure luck! You're my lucky omen!"
It was the perfect way to start my weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment