Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day

This week has been a very exciting week in our house. Valentine's Day was filled with excitement as the kids prepped their Valentine's to share with their classmates. This was Ryan's first time with all of it. Our dining room table turned into an assembly line of folding, writing, attaching and sealing. Both of the kids woke up early and ready to get to school! Ryan even said, "Mom, I've been waiting my whole yife for dis!"

While teaching yesterday, I was reminded about what this day is like in middle school. Valentines mean a bit more as the students only give them to select people. We don't have celebrations or class exchanges. I think part of the reason I love teaching this age is that I remember it so well. I was so boy crazy (with my friend Suzi) and Valentine's Day was the pinnacle of, well, of everything! I saw the faces of kids who were surprised by little things. I saw the faces of kids who were nervous about giving a Valentine to a certain someone. At this age it all means so much. Don't you remember that? I have written before about how kids are really no different than we were. They are kids, experiencing this stage of life. It's awkward, it's scary, it's fun, it's hard. There were no cell phone texts or other new gadgets. It was the old fashioned way- hand written notes, stuffed animals, balloons, etc.

The day made me smile.


No comments: