In the recent months, some people in our lives have been experiencing some real pain. This pain has included loss, illness and heart break. When people I care about, or even hear about, are going through these types of things it immediately puts my life in perspective. I strive to live in a place of gratitude and appreciation and when I am not, these kinds of situations catapult me right back.
It is a helpless feeling when supporting someone who is going through something unfathomable to you. I often don't know what to say and instead say, "I wish I knew the words to say right now, but I don't." I have also learned not to say, "Let me know what I can do." Instead I say, "I would like to take the kids while you go get a pedicure or take a nap, when's a good time?" or, "I'm going to the grocery store and would like to pick you up a bag of groceries, send me a list."
I realize that a lot of people in pain do not ask for specific help not because they don't need it, but because they don't know what to ask for.
It's a hard and helpless feeling to witness a loved one in despair. At this moment in my life I am overwhelmingly grateful for health, a home, all 4 of my parents, my sisters and brothers in law, my friends, my children, my husband, my students, my job. Not only am I thankful for all of this but for all that it includes and entails.
I wish I could wipe away the pain that those around me have been going through. Until I have that power I will try and ease it as much as I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment