Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Anxious For Superman

On Tuesday I am going to see a special screening of "Waiting for Superman," a movie about public education. This has created quite the buzz since featured on "Oprah." I do understand that the movie shows only the flaws with public education. I am prepared for that and it was made clear by everyone involved in the film that "there are so many GOOD teachers out there. This is not about them." I wonder what emotions and reactions I will have. I do know that I am excited at the idea that education will be the hot topic. When people are fired up, action happens.
I have always been proud of what I do. I am hoping that this starts a movement to fix the flaws in our system, especially the part about getting rid of ineffective teachers. But, with any movie of this sort, it doesn't show all that is right. The human beings who would do anything and go above and beyond their contract to have influence on children. It doesn't show the lives changed and the life lessons learned by going to school. I know that movies have huge influence and fear that viewers will place these exceptional cases under the umbrella of "all public education." Every education system has flaws (public, private, charter), big or small, and it is critical that we change them to ensure success.
I am anxious to see the film and will be writing about it after I do.

1 comment:

Brig said...

Jen, I'm so proud of you! I want to connect you with some folks I've been working with in Cal. public education.. AMAZING group and you would fit right in! XO