Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New Experiences

Today we took our students to San Francisco for tours at the Asian Art museum and City Hall. I loved this day for many reasons and disliked it for others (paperwork and organization). The number one reason I loved the day was because some students who live right here have never been to the city. Not only did we take them to SF but we took them to an area where they could really see the mix of people. We talked before we left about how some people will be in the middle of their work day. Others have nowhere else to go but on the street. Besides the academic part of the day, the students got to see about 10 brides at city hall getting married, a man on the green smoking his bowl, people asleep on newspapers, and to top it off, a transvestite welcoming them to City Hall and asking if they were going to meet the mayor.
Anytime a student can see what is outside their world, a richness has been added to their lives. Transvestites and addicts included.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous lesson on diversity, acceptance and tolerance of those who are apart of the world around us which is a lesson we need to continually be reminded of!!! I bet the bully who got booted from the trip will be sad he missed!!! I'm sad I missed it!! I LOVE SF!!!!!